Welcome to Poppy
Every Tuesday morning we will be inviting Poppy the dog into school. A full risk assessment has been completed which is available to view below. Poppy is a 2 year old Labrador who is owned by Mrs Pendle and has been chosen because of her calm nature.
There has been extensive research about the many benefits that can be seen by having a school dog.
- Dogs teach children about responsibility
- Dogs teach children patience.
- Dogs teach children about socialisation
- Dogs are fun – they greet you with a wagging tail every day and put a smile on your face, even on a bad day.
Poppy regularly goes to the vet for yearly vaccinations, flea and worm treatments. The children will only be able to interact with her under strict supervision and as long as parental permission has been given. She will initially be in school on Tuesday 13th September where the children can meet her in assembly.
Poppy will be based in Sea Turtles class away from the classrooms and the children. When she does need to move around school she will always be on a lead. We hope Poppy will be able to help some of our children who need some social and emotional support.
If your child does have allergies or any reason they may be worried by Poppy please do let us know.
- Develop coping strategies and talk about difficulties.
- Interact more successfully with others.
- Develop greater self-awareness manage school better and feel better about themselves.
- Pupils with an ELSA feel they have been listened to and supported.